Co-op extends till-less technology trial
Written by Peter Walker
Co-op is rolling out its till-less technology into more convenience stores as cash-use continues to drop.
The retailer is extending its pay-in-aisle technology trial, with shoppers able to use an app to checkout in over 30 Co-op food stores across England, Scotland and Wales by late August.
While cash remains common-place in convenience stores, the Co-op stated that it has seen a more than 10 per cent decline in the popularity of notes and coins during the last two years. The use of contactless, cards and other payment methods now accounts for more than one in two transactions.
The trial began in early 2018, with the technology sitting alongside existing payment methods - including cashiers and self-scan tills - to provide added choice, speed and convenience, especially at busier times.
The app lets customers scan products on their own device as they walk around the store, with the cost of the shop deducted from their Apple or Google Pay account with the touch of a button.
It also integrates the benefits of Co-op Membership – where members receive a five per cent reward on the purchase of own-brand products, while the Co-op donates a further one per cent to local causes.
Mark Pettigrew, director of retail support at Co-op food, said: “We know that people adopt technology at different speeds, and while cash is here to stay it is clear that it is increasingly playing a lesser role in society, retailers need to adapt and be agile, and this app builds added choice and convenience into the retail experience for our members and customers, while appealing to new shoppers.”
The retailer uses ACI Worldwide’s Universal Payments solution for its card processing operations, securing payment data through Point-2-Point Encryption (P2PE).
The stores set to participate in the extended trial are:
• Manchester - Piccadilly Railway Station approach
• Manchester - Spinningfields
• Manchester - West Didsbury
• Manchester - 1 Angel Square
• Manchester Green Quarter - Cypress Place
• Cardiff - Senghenydd Road
• Cardiff - Kings Road
• Cardiff - Pontcanna Street
• Edinburgh - McDonald Road
• Edinburgh - Morrison Street
• Edinburgh - Frederick Street
• Edinburgh - Dalry Road
• Wembley - Olympic Way
• Kentish Town - Fortress Road
• Westminster - Portman Square
• Regents Park - Park Road
• Great Eastern Street - Hackney
• Canary Wharf - Harbour Exchange Square
• Hackney - Cambridge Heath Road
• Westminster- Westbourne Grove
• Merchant Square - Paddington
• Holborn - Kingsway
• Fenchurch Street - London
• London - Ludgate Circus
• Newnham - Grantchester Street
• Cambridge - The Marque
• Shoreham - Ham Road
• Southwater - West Sussex
• Southwick Square - West Sussex